Thursday, May 14, 2020

My favorite topic 2020 : blockchain

Blockchain

When the 2020 year started, I wanted to nurture my knowledge of the cloud. I had some exposure to the topic in years before but recently, I've been mostly working in a lot of legacy apps. I still do have some very good intuition  but I may have lost some practices about how to do quickly this or that.

However, I profoundly believed the market is over reacted about the need for developer to be cloud knowledgeable. And I wanted to be aligned. That has justified my decision to find some  time during the year to start journey as a cloud certified developer. Unfortunately, it never happened or maybe I didn't truly convince myself it is worth it.. I still agree a basic understanding of cloud is more than an essential knowledge for today enterprise application  developers. Nevertheless I also recognize that this role is another relevant job title.

This is not the purpose of this post. The intent is how I came to fall in love with blockchain. I did know about block-chain back in 2015. I do spend some time learning bitcoin with a coursera MOOC class having some prior in-depth exposure of cryptography primitives. But I did not go deeper. In retrospective, I feel sorry and really a bit shortsighted. This seems so amazing and so aligned to my prior knowledge.

 I think we will hear about smart contracts as its makes block-chain technologies more relevant. It is a technology that brings back simple programming as a mean for real very good business value. Developers have a big and widely secure database with a a modern programming language to do anything they may want with almost no cost at all. With JavaScript single page or native applications in the front-end,  there is a wide range of what developers can do. 

So I'm self learning how to write smart contracts with solidity or other languages or blockchains. I started with https://cryptozombies.io. This was far than enough. Cheers to CryptoZombie. Now, I created my own local environment. I do not wanted to use web based IDE. I wanted to feel how everything is connected. I did waste some unnecessary times. But all is right that ends well. I have now a visual studio with windows WLS2 Ubuntu18. I love visual studio having working mostly with eclipse and intellij. You have a basic IDE customized later via extensions. Sounds crazy ? I complete some deployment with solidity-nodejs-truffle-ganache. It looks good. The dots seems to be connected. I created some initial projects and able to run locally some tests. I m feeling good.

So now, I m ready to write my first contract on flexible vote system that I think should allow us to have quick, cheap, free and elections for who ever may wanted. It is something that is important for me for some times. Coming from a 3rd world country -Haiti- where lack of good elections have worsened poverty in the populations with bad leaders in charge within all levels of government. So is my passion is set for 2020 :  block chain developer enthusiasm. I ll try to keep my blog up-to-date.

Merci

1 comment:

  1. Just found that OpenZeppelin SDK makes smart contract development easier. As said, it Saves hours of development time by compiling, upgrading, deploying, and interacting with smart contracts with our CLI.

    ReplyDelete